How can I decrease my plastic use around the house?
• Replace gladwrap with reusable ziplock bags, cornstarch ziplock bags, waxed paper, lidded containers, beeswax wraps or a damp teatowel.
• Do you have a bread maker collecting dust in your cupboard? Get it out and try making your own and avoid bread bags.
• Replace plastic toothbrushes, dishwash brushes and dish clothes with compostable ones: http://www.dogooder.co.nz , http://www.ecostore.co.nz/dish-brush
• Replace your dental floss with compostable floss: http://www.dogooder.co.nz
• Look at the fabrics you buy – synthetics like nylon and polyester are oil based; try cotton and wool.
• Buy your shampoo, condition and skin care in solid bars instead of plastic bottles. You can buy wooden racks or compostable containers to keep them in: https://ethiquebeauty.com/, https://www.dirtyhippie.co.nz/
• Choose wool carpets over nylon – they might cost more initially but are likely to last longer and will be easier to break down when they are worn.
• Resuable sanitary items – this might sound a bit icky to start with but there are lots of choices in reusable pads and cups.